Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Very easy and very decadent! I usually substitute fresh cherries, pitted, cooked, sweetened, and thickened with corn starch, for the pie filling.
- 1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 19 ounces cherry pie filling
- 1⁄4 cup rum (can substitute apple juice and rum extract)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- whipping cream
- chocolate shavings
- Prepare cake according to package and cool.
- Cut the cake into layers, then into pieces.
- Place them so that they cover the bottom and sides of a large bowl.
- Pour in cherry pie filling and cover with remaining cake.
- Sprinkle rum over the cake.
- Make pudding and pour over next.
- Cover with whipped cream, shaved chocolate, and fresh cherries if desired.
Wonderful, moist, easy and elegant!!!!
I am German and I served this recipe to a German crowd and they were thrilled. I was too because it is so much easier to make than the Black Forest Cake and at least as tasty. I made a few changes: Black Forest Cherry Brandy instead of Rum (more authentic because Black Forest Cake is made with it); 1/2 canned sour cherries and 1/2 cherry pie filling (again, bakers use sour cherries for the cake here in Germany); and, last but not least: semisweet chocolate by Lindt. This is a party hit and easy to make for a large number of people. Thanks again, Heather.
I have used this recipe for years. It is always a hit!