Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
From a 1984 McCall's Magazine. This is simple yet looks and tastes fabulous. This is the original recipe, but I have on occasion added a layer of prepared brownies to the middle. The recipe also gives many options for the cookie base.
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cookie crumbs (Oreo, vanilla wafers, shortbread or chocolate chip)
- 1 (20 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- Place 4 C of the milk into a large heavy saucepan.
- Add unsweetened chocolate and heat over medium. Watch carefully until bubbles form around the edges of the pan, then the milk is scalded.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, put cornstarch, sugar, salt and remaining 1/2 C milk. Use whisk to blend until no lumps remain.
- Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into the hot milk mixture with the whisk.
- Return saucepan to heat and cook over moderately low heat stirring constantly until it begins to boil.
- Boil 1 minute longer and continue to stir.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Spoon 1/3 of the chocolate pudding into a 2 qt souffle dish or glass bowl.
- Top with 1/3 C of the cookie crumbs (or brownie bits).
- Set aside 1/2 C of the cherry pie filling.
- Gently spoon half of the remaining filling over the cookie crumbs in the souffle bowl.
- Repeat layering with another third of the pudding, crumbs and pie filling. End layers with a layer of pudding.
- Spoon remaining cookie crumbs around the edges only of the dish to form a border. (You can place a small bowl in the center so no crumbs make their way into the middle.
- Place the remaining cherry pie filling in the center.
- Refrigerate covered and chill 5 - 6 hours.