5 hrs 20 mins
mums the word's Note:
From a 1984 McCall's Magazine. This is simple yet looks and tastes fabulous. This is the original recipe, but I have on occasion added a layer of prepared brownies to the middle. The recipe also gives many options for the cookie base.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place 4 C of the milk into a large heavy saucepan.
- 2Add unsweetened chocolate and heat over medium. Watch carefully until bubbles form around the edges of the pan, then the milk is scalded.
- 3Remove from heat and set aside.
- 4In a small bowl, put cornstarch, sugar, salt and remaining 1/2 C milk. Use whisk to blend until no lumps remain.
- 5Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into the hot milk mixture with the whisk.
- 6Return saucepan to heat and cook over moderately low heat stirring constantly until it begins to boil.
- 7Boil 1 minute longer and continue to stir.
- 8Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- 9Spoon 1/3 of the chocolate pudding into a 2 qt souffle dish or glass bowl.
- 10Top with 1/3 C of the cookie crumbs (or brownie bits).
- 11Set aside 1/2 C of the cherry pie filling.
- 12Gently spoon half of the remaining filling over the cookie crumbs in the souffle bowl.
- 13Repeat layering with another third of the pudding, crumbs and pie filling. End layers with a layer of pudding.
- 14Spoon remaining cookie crumbs around the edges only of the dish to form a border. (You can place a small bowl in the center so no crumbs make their way into the middle.
- 15Place the remaining cherry pie filling in the center.
- 16Refrigerate covered and chill 5 - 6 hours.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Forest Trifle
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.3
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 19.2 mg
- Sodium 155.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: