Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
A different take on Thumbprint cookies. This is a recipe from my childhood, and is a wonderful adornment to any Christmas tray.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 48 maraschino cherries (reserve some cherry juice)
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk (Eagle Brand or other)
- Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Add dry ingredients until combined. Shape into 48 - 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and make thumbprint in center of each cookie. Place a maraschino cherry into each indentation.
- Melt chocolate chips and condensed milk just until soft. Stir in 4 tsp cherry juice and spoon about 1 tsp of frosting on top to cover cherry. Add more cherry juice if frosting needs to be thinned. Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes.
Delish and easy to make. The only complaint is there was too much frosting. I only used 1/4 of the recommended amount.