1 hr 10 mins
Lambic and dried cherries are high notes in this deconstruction of the classic German dessert. Black Forest cake is a crowd-pleaser, with its combination of chocolate and cherries and alcohol. The problem is that it’s hard to get all those elements in each forkful. Our solution: deconstruct it (swapping lambic for Kirsch and adding in chocolate crème anglaise for good measure) and layer it in “strata” so each bite is filled with everything this dessert has to offer. Everything can be prepared up to 1 day ahead, and the dessert can be assembled up to 8 hours ahead. Does not include cooling time. Taken from Aida Mollenkamp from chow.com and posted for ZWT.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cookies
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
For the chocolate creme anglaise
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 9 large egg yolks
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
For the garnish
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1For the cookies:.
- 2Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange the rack in the middle.
- 3Melt chocolate, stirring occasionally, in a small saucepan over low heat; set aside.
- 4Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder in a medium mixing bowl to aerate and break up any lumps.
- 5In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter at medium speed until light in color.
- 6Beat in vanilla extract, then add eggs one at a time until fully incorporated. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl; add melted chocolate and mix until smooth.
- 7Add dry ingredients and beat at low speed just until incorporated.
- 8Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet and bake until cookies are puffed and set, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 9Transfer cookies to a rack and let cool to room temperature. (makes 36 cookies).
- 10For the chocolate crème anglaise:.
- 11Combine cream and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 12Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
- 13Whisk together remaining sugar and egg yolks until pale and well incorporated.
- 14While constantly whisking, slowly pour in 1/2 of the hot cream.
- 15Pour egg-cream mixture back into the saucepan with the hot cream and place over low heat.
- 16Stirring constantly, cook mixture until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 17Melt chocolate over low heat and whisk into crème anglaise. Cool and refrigerate.
- 18For the garnish:.
- 19Combine cherries and lambic in a medium bowl, and set aside until cherries rehydrate, about 15 minutes.
- 20Drain cherries and reserve lambic.
- 21Whisk lambic and cream together, and beat to form medium peaks; refrigerate until ready to use.
- 22To assemble:.
- 23For each serving, break up three cookies and set aside. In a 4- to 5-inch-tall glass (with a 2-1/2- to 3-inch diameter), layer 1/3 of the cookie pieces, a rounded tablespoon of the whipped cream, 1 tablespoon of the crème anglaise, a few soaked cherries, and a bit of the chopped chocolate. Repeat twice to make three complete layers. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 24Note: After assembling your desserts, you’ll have some leftover chocolate cookies. We’re sure you’ll figure out what to do with them!
- 25Belgian lambics are becoming more popular and therefore more commonplace. Lindemans Kriek Lambic is the most widely available kriek lambic, and it can be found at most gourmet grocery stores and liquor stores.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Forest 'strata'
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 831.2
- Calories from Fat 513
- Total Fat 57.0 g
- Saturated Fat 33.8 g
- Cholesterol 456.9 mg
- Sodium 384.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 37.9 g
- Protein 10.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: