Recipe by Kree
This creamy rice pudding is made with cooked brown rice and accented with chocolate and cherry flavors. I like it warm but you can serve it however you prefer. If you do serve it cold you might want to decrease the honey slightly (to taste) or replace some of the honey with sugar, since honey's flavor is much bolder when cool.
Top Review by Shar-on
This pudding was pretty good. I liked it warm with ice cream on it. It was easy to make and the ingredients are readily available. I am not a great fan of rice pudding, but I thought I should try it anyway.
- 1 cup buttermilk (or soy equivalent 1 cup soy milk plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 2 cups cooked long grain brown rice (not instant or converted)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup canned tart pitted pie cherries, drained,rinsed,and chopped (NOT cherry pie filling--measure after chopping)
- additional cherries, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- If using soy equivalent of buttermilk, mix together soy milk and lemon juice; allow to sit 10 minutes.
- Cook buttermilk, cocoa, and honey in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until the cocoa and honey are dissolved.
- Add the cooked rice and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 20-30 minutes or until the buttermilk is almost absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- You may need to leave the lid slightly ajar at first to prevent it from boiling over.
- Stir in vanilla and chopped cherries.
- Heat through and serve warm or chill and serve cold.
- Garnish with leftover cherries, if desired.