Recipe by Mirj
A friend of mine got this from the back of a Hershey's Cocoa box, but the recipe is so old she's copied it over many times. It's really good, really easy, and very impressive!
Top Review by puppitypup
Made this for a party and everyone loved it. We served the cherry pie filling on the side and put whipped cream on top. A beautiful, decadent dessert that's super easy to make. Thanks for a keeper Mirj!
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups hot water
- 1⁄4 cup kirsch (or 2 tablespoons water plus 1/2 teaspoon almond extract)
- cherry pie filling
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Add milk, melted butter and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Spread into 8 or 9 inch square baking pan.
- Stir together remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa in small bowl.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over batter.
- Combine hot water and kirsch, pour it over the batter.
- Do not stir.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the center is almost set.
- Let rest 15 minutes.
- Spoon into dessert dishes, spooning sauce from the bottom of pan over the top.
- Serve with cherry pie filling.