Recipe by MarieRynr
Bake a variation of this dense rich pudding cake and make Mocha Almond Pudding Cake.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, drained,quartered
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate syrup
- 1⁄4 cup kirsch or 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 whole maraschino cherry, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
- Add milk, butter and vanilla; mix well.
- Stir in 1/2 cup cherries.
- Spread batter into greased 8-inch square (2-quart) baking dish.
- Combine hot water, chocolate syrup and Kirsch in 2-cup glass measure.
- Pour evenly over batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set and edges begin to pull away from sides of pan.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Garnish with whole maraschino cherries, if desired.
- Mocha Almond Pudding Cake: Prepare pudding cake as directed above, omitting cherries and Kirsch.
- Stir 1/2 cup slivered almonds into cake batter.
- Spread into greased baking dish.
- Combine hot water and 4 teaspoons instant espresso coffee or instant regular coffee crystals in 2-cup glass measure.
- Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate syrup and 1/4 cup coffee-flavored liqueur*; pour over batter.
- Bake as directed above.
- *Substitutestrong brewed coffee or chocolate syrup.