Recipe by FLUFFSTER
This recipe follows a German theme, with boiled new potatoes, ham, more goodies, and topped with vinegar and caraway dressing. It's absolutely delicious! It goes with so many things! New potatoes are the small,(sometimes larger)red-skinned potato. If they're larger, just cut them into 2-4 pieces. Time does not include chill time. This can be made 1 day ahead.
- 3 lbs red-skinned new potatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 ounces thinly sliced ham (Westphalian, Virginia, or any cured ham)
- 7 -10 sprigs parsley, divided
- 1 small red onion
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons hot mustard (If you like spicier,add more, if not, use less)
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 cup safflower oil or 1 cup light vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the potatoes :.
- Scrub the potatoes, but don't peel. Place potatoes in a large saucepan with plenty of salted water, cover and bring to a boil. Simmer just until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 20.
- Make the dressing:.
- Peel the onion and chop it very fine. Place the onion in a bowl with the vinegar, sour cream, mustard, salt and pepper. Sprinkle in the caraway seeds. Whisk the ingredients until mixed, then gradually whisk in the oil so that the vinegar and caraway dressing emulsifies and thickens slightly. Pour the oil in a slow, steady stream so dressing emulsifies thoroughly. Taste the dressing for seasoning, and adjust, if necessary. Set aside.
- Test the potatoes for tenderness with the tip of a small knife. When done, drain potatoes in a colander and rinse if needed.
- While still warm, cut the potatoes into 1/2-inch slices. Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl.
- Briskly whisk the dressing, then pour it over the warm potatoes.
- Assemble the salad:.
- While the potatoes cool,trim away any fat and any rind from the slices of ham. Cut the ham into approximately 3/4-inch strips and set aside.
- Chop the parsley until fine and add the ham strips to the cool potato salad.Sprinkle about three-fourths of the parsley over the top. Stir the ham and parsley into the salad. Taste for seasoning, cover and chill in the refrigerator at least one hour.
- To serve:.
- Transfer the potato salad to a large platter and serve at room temperature, sprinkled with the remaining parsley.