Recipe by Mirj
I know what you're thinking, potatoes with chocolate and cherries, gross, ick and ewwww! Wrong, there's no chocolate or cherries here, just a very different potato salad that is surprisingly tasty. Give it a try!
Top Review by Brighid
This was very good! I didn't have canola oil so I used sunflower oil instead...I also forgot the salt - oops! However it was very good even then. I was a little leery when I weighted out 1 pound of potatoes (only 4 medium sized ones) as this was to be the main entrée for dinner for the two of us but it ended up making plenty. We ate this with rye bread and sharp cheddar cheese slices on the side. My husband said that the apples were weird but that they actually worked in the recipe. Thanks for a new vegetarian recipe!
- 1 (5 1/3 medium) lb potatoes, cut into 1/3-inch slices
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can sauerkraut, rinsed and throughly drained
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup diced tart apple
Directions See How It's Made
- In 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, cook potatoes, covered, in 2 inches boiling water until tender, about 12 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl whisk together vinegar, oil, water and pepper.
- Mix in apples.
- Add potatoes, sauerkraut, onions and parsley to apple mixture; toss gently.
- Season with salt.