Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 1 boneless bottom round roast, 4 lbs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, stems removed,crumbled and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Trim fat from meat and place in crockpot.
- In small bowl, combine all ingredients except cornstarch& water.
- Pour mixture over meat.
- Cover, cook on low 8 hours.
- Remove meat, slice and keep warm.
- Turn crockpot on high, dissolve cornstarch in water and stir into crockpot.
- Cover and cook on high 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Serve sauce with meat.
Simple and good. I used a cross rib roast and it worked well. I added a bit of liquid smoke as well. Sauce was great over mashed potatoes and some left over for rice later.
Wonderful! The only change I made was I used a round roast, and portabella mushrooms since the grocery store did not have shiitake. I will make again, and thanks for sharing.
Outstanding!! A true keeper. I didn't add the water because with the other liquid it wasn't necessary. With crockpot cooking, it creates its own liquid. Thanks for a posting.