Recipe by Divinemom5
Achewy cookie,packed full of all kinds of goodies.
Top Review by chiclet
These cookies are delish!! The combination of toasted almonds,cherries and 2 chocolates is phenomenal. I am not rating it because I made several substitutions to use what I had on hand, and I assume the problems I had with the recipe are results of those changes. First, I used margarine instead of shortening and rolled oats instead of quick-cooking. That said, the batter was really loose, the cookies spread out like crazy, and barely held together once cooked. I will definitely NOT make these changes in the future (that's right, there will be another go with these tasty little devils!). Also, I used rehydrated dried Rainier cherries instead of maraschinos which worked out nicely. I cannot emphasize strongly enough how tasty and unique these cookies are. I will most assuredly make them again, but next time I'll follow the recipe as written. In the meanwhile, I've got 4 dozen delicious cookies to get back to eating;)!!
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup toasted almond, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease baking sheet.
- Cream shortening,sugar,egg,milk and extract.
- In separate bowl,combine remaining dry ingredients.
- Add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in chopped chocolates,cherries and almonds.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inched apart onto baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Do not overbake.
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet.
- Remove to wire rack to cool completely.