Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe I found that I want to try so I am posting for safe keeping. This recipe is from Ball Canning.
- 4 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sifted cocoa powder
- 3 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped sweet cherries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 (3 ounce) envelopes liquid fruit pectin
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 4 tablespoons kirsch liqueur or 4 tablespoons cherry brandy
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- COMBINE sugar and cocoa powder in a medium bowl. Set aside. Combine cherries, lemon juice and cocoa mixture in a large saucepan. Bring to a full rolling bowl that cannot be stirred down, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add coconut and Kirsh, stirring well. Skim foam if necessary.
- LADLE hot conserve into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
I'm giving this 3 stars because my DH really liked it, but I did not care for it. I found the Kirsch to be the predominant taste and felt it overpowered the flavors of the other ingredients. I might try this again and leave out the Kirsch - I might really like that version. Now, what am I going to do with a whole bottle of Kirsch - LOL?