1/3 Photos of Black Forest Gateau ( Cake )
This traditional German recipe is nothing like the commercial cakes on sale these days - the ones that are cloyingly sweet with that "slick" icing. This is the real thing (and note that the sponge contains no flour). While the ingredients and directions may look out of order, I've tried to arrange them to make better use of time. If you have a stand mixer, this would be a great time to pull it out!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (25 ounce) can cherries in syrup, drained with syrup reserved
- 3 tablespoons kirsch (a 50ml miniature bottle)
- 9 extra large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, grated
- 1Cherry Filling: Stir together the drained cherries, 1/4 cup reserved syrup and the kirsch. Set aside while preparing cakes.
- 2To make the sponge cakes: Preheat oven to 350ºF and butter (3) 8-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with parchment paper and then butter the paper also.
- 3Put yolks and sugar into the bowl of your stand mixer and beat on medium speed until the mixture has at least doubled in volume, is very thick and mousse-like and a wide ribbon trail slowly falls back into the bowl when beaters are lifted. This could take 5 minutes or more. Don't short the time here!
- 4Sift in the cocoa and gently fold with a large spoon.
- 5In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- 6Carefully fold egg whites into chocolate mixture, 1/3 at a time.
- 7Divide the batter into the 3 prepared pans and bake for 20-25 minutes, until cakes spring back when touched and have pulled away from sides of pans.
- 8Let cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack & peel off the paper.
- 9Now go back to your cherries - drain them but hold onto the syrup! Place the cherries on paper towels to dry. Set aside 12 or so for garnish.
- 10Cream Filling:.
- 11In the clean bowl of your stand mixer, or with an electric mixer, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in the sugar and whip until slightly thicker.
- 12Assembly: Place 1 cake layer on a large serving platter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons reserved syrup.
- 13Spread with 1/4 of the cream filling. Press 1/2 of the cherries into the cream.
- 14Stack on the second cake layer. Sprinkle it with reserved kirsch syrup as before. Spread with 1/4 of the cream & the rest of the cherries (except for the ones reserved for garnish).
- 15Top with final cake layer & sprinkle with remaining syrup.
- 16Cover the top and sides with all the remaining whipped cream - you can either pipe it or spread it on - then garnish with the reserved cherries & grated chocolate.
- 17Refrigerate until serving time. Best eaten within 48 hours.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Forest Gateau ( Cake )
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 498.8
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 290.7 mg
- Sodium 107.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 44.4 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: