1 hr 40 mins
A German dinner party soup. Badische Schneckensuppe was the house specialty of the Zum Ritter in in Durbach. If you don't like escargot, use extra mushrooms instead. My dinner guests couldn't tell the difference between the minced escargot and the minced mushroom and there was not a drop of soup left over. I used extra Pernod because I did not have aniseed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1/2 lb mushroom, finely minced
- 1 cup riesling wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup creme fraiche or 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can escargot, drained and very finely minced (reserve liquid)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground anise seed
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons Pernod (optional)
- 1Beurre Manie: Combine butter and flour in a small bowl and blend well.
- 2Soup: Melt butter in a large heavy sauce pan over low heat, add shallot and cook 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in garlic, cook 1-2 minutes, add mushrooms and cook 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 4Pour in wine, broths and creme fraiche, simmer 20 minutes.
- 5Stir in escargot, reserved liquid, chives, parsley and aniseed.
- 6Pinch off bits of Beurre Manie and whisk into soup, one at a time.
- 7Beat 1 tbsp of hot soup into the egg yolks, add 3 more tbsp one at a time, whisking vigorously.
- 8Add egg mixture to soup, stir in Pernod and let soup "mellow" over low heat (do not boil) 1-2 minutes.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Forest Escargot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 494.9
- Calories from Fat 359
- Total Fat 39.9 g
- Saturated Fat 23.8 g
- Cholesterol 240.8 mg
- Sodium 406.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 15.1 g