Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
The ultimate dessert! So creamy and chocolaty. I've had this recipe for 20 years, 9 years ago I took 1st place in desserts category, in our town's holiday recipe book! Great for the holidays, as it makes 2 cakes, Freezes well! Eat one now, serve one later! (you may choose to make only 1 cake, and make 12 cupcakes with leftover batter, adjusting ingredients accordingly)
- 1 (18 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (softened)
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages French vanilla instant pudding
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cherry pie filling
- 2 (8 ounce) cartons Cool Whip
- 1 (8 ounce) Hershey Bars, grated
- Mix cake as directed. Pour into 2 greased and floured 13x9 inch pans. Bake 20 minutes at 350°F Cool. Beat pudding and milk until creamy. Set aside.
- Beat cream cheese. Blend pudding into cream cheese, a little at a time. Pour over cakes.
- Pour pie Filling on this, and then spread Cool Whip on top.
- Top with Hershey Bar, that has been grated. Refrigerate. Freezes well.
- Wonderful to make ahead of time, and take out of freezer on the morning you plan to serve. Keep leftovers refrigerated. Can cut each cake into 8 or 12 pieces, depending on amount of guests. A crowd pleaser! They will ask for more!
Great! I halved the recipe and it still made a ton. I think the time on baking the cake is off. I baked it about twice as long.