Recipe by Pepina Rae
WOW! Here's a winner for you. This is simply scrumptious.
Top Review by andreaadams01
This cake was good, however, I could not get the middle of the cake to bake until firm. I finally took it out of the oven because the outside of the cake was getting to the point of being overdone. What we did eat turned out well, though. Perhaps I will try it again at a higher temperature. Thanks.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-process (such as Hershey's European Style or Droste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 5 tablespoons butter, cold
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, slivered, coarsely chopped
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-process
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 12 ounces frozen cherries, thawed (no sugar added)
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups chocolate, minichips
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- CRUMB TOPPING: Stir together flour, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Use a pastry blender to mix in brown sugar. Cut in cold butter until mixture is made up of medium crumbs about the size of peas. Stir in almonds; refrigerate topping while preparing cake.
- CAKE: Grease bottom of an 8 or 9-inch square disposable pan; place in a larger pan or on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In large bowl of an electric mixer, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Briefly beat in eggs and butter; mixture will be crumbly.
- Drain liquid from cherries into a measuring cup; add enough cream to make 3/4 cup liquid. Beat liquid into cake mixture. Add extract; continue to beat at medium speed until batter is smooth and light. Stir in cherries and minichips.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan; smooth top. Sprinkle with crumb mixture.
- Bake about 35 minutes. (Test for doneness with wooden pick in center of cake.)
- Let cool completely in pan. Just before serving, dust with sifted powdered sugar.