Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The 1991 Chokecherry Festival Best of Show by Norma Robertson. Chilling time not included in preparation
- 1 chocolate 9 inch pie shell, baked and cooled (add 1/4 cocoa and two tablespoons extra water to your favorite pie crust recipe or use Recipezaar #1)
- 2 cups chokecherry juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 4 ounces whipped topping, such as cool whip
- 6 ounces whipped topping, such as cool whip
- 2 ounces whipped topping, such as cool whip
- Divide juice into 1/2 cup and 1-1/2 cup portions.
- Mix cornstarch and 1/2 cup juice.
- Heat 1-1/2 cup juice with sugar in a non-reactive saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add cornstarch-juice mixture; cook to thicken.
- Add salt and almond extract.
- Set aside to cool.
- To make the first layer: beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and whipped topping; spread in shell.
- For the second layer: reserve 1/2 cup of cooled chokecherry pudding and pour the rest over the cream cheese mixture.
- For the third layer: beat reserved 1/2 cup of chokecherry sauce into six ounces of the whipped topping.
- Spread onto pudding sauce carefully, using a spoon for best results.
- Mound the rest of the whipped topping around the edges or all in center.
- Sprinkle with slivered chocolate for garnish and place chokecherries on for decoration.
- Serve chilled.
Was wonderful even if I didn't follow the recipe exactly, had dough in the freezer so baked that. I didn't have Cool Whip or cream so mixed cream cheese, sugar and milk, spread in baked crust then I had chocolate mousse in the frig. and put that on top of the cheese. Next made the chokecherry with arrowroot, chilled and poured on top when thickened. It sat overnight before trying. Wonderful flavors and will enjoy each piece over the next few days.