Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are really delicious and chocolately drop cookies from the cookbook, "Baked: New Frontiers in Baking" by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito. Dough needs to be refrigerated for at least 6 hours. Don't overbake these—they're at their best when slightly gooey. This recipe can be halved.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped (60 to 72% cacao)
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large metal bowl, combine the dark chocolate and butter,. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and cook, stirring with a rubber spatula, until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugars on high speed until the mixture is pale and thick, about 5 minutes. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and the vanilla and beat until just combined. Scrape down the bowl and beat again for 10 seconds. Add the flour mixture and mix on low until just combined, about 10 seconds. Do not overmix. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and dried cherries.The dough will look very loose, but it will harden in the refrigerator. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time, until the tops of the cookies are set and begin to show a few cracks. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before removing from the pans and serving.
I decided to try an unrated recipe after trying quite a few five star recipes only to be disappointed by the food and confused by the other reviews. This is a serious chocolate lovers cookie...and I am a chocolate lover. I followed the recipe as written but cut it in half just in case I didn't like the cookies. Big mistake. Now I have to make more because I don't have enough for Christmas Eve. Yes, I've been nibbling. Thanks for the recipe.