Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious, rich, chocolate bundt cake made from scratch.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour a 10 cup (2.5L) Bundt pan.
- In large bowl, beat butter with brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix.
- Stir flour mixture into butter mixture alternately with sour cream - make 3 additions of flour and 2 sour cream.
- Stir in chocolate chips and cherries.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour.
- Let cool for 10 minutes; Loosen with knife. Turn cake over onto cooling rack and lift off pan.
- When cool, sprinkle with icing sugar.
I used this recipe for its basic dough (no c. chips/cherries, & 10" + 8" springforms) and it is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for a Black Forest cake -- just how my German mom's BFC was. It cuts flawlessly, holds together through all the BFC construction, and is perfectly absorbent for the kirsch. I am so impressed! I didn't have sour cream, so I used 1/2 c. sweetened condensed milk + 3/4 c. 2% milk. I also used 1/2 c. dark brown sugar + 3/4 c. white sugar. I accidently baked these at 200C (oops!) and they were done in 25 min --ha!-- and only a bit dark. This will definitely become my default BFC dough! Thanks!!
This was a real hit!! My almost 4-year old grandson helped make it for a birthday party, so we left out the cherries. Sprinkling powdered sugar on top was better than any extra frosting calories. Everyone had seconds. Thanks so much for a great recipe from scratch!