Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
This comes from Cooking Light. I have not made this yet. I am posting for the Zaar World Tour 2006. Prep time does not include chill time for cherry topping, but it can chill while the cheesecake is baking.
- 2 cups pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄3 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 large egg white
- cooking spray
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened (1/3 less fat)
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 36 dark sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- To prepare the cherry topping, place 2 cups cherries in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth.
- Combine the pureed cherries, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour cherry topping into a bowl; cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare the crust, combine the crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, butter, and egg white in a bowl; toss with a fork until well-blended.
- Press crumb mixture into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes; cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
- To prepare the filling, combine sour cream, milk, and cheeses in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Add 1 1/4 cups sugar, cocoa, vanilla, and eggs; beat well. Stir in mini chips.
- Pour cheese mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 300°F for 50 minutes or until almost set (center will not be firm, but will set up as it chills).
- Turn oven off; cool cheesecake in closed oven 40 minutes. Remove from oven; cool on a wire rack.
- Spread cherry topping over cheesecake. Top with cherry halves. Cover and chill 8 hours.
Rich & decadent, this cheesecake is. The filling was very smooth & creamy. I wasn't sure about the chocolate grahams at first, but turns out to be one of the best parts. I followed the recipe on almost everything. I had to use frozen cherries, one fat-free cream cheese & one regular. The only change I'll make in the future is to add a drop or two of almond extract to the cherry topping & decrease the unsweetened cocoa to just 2 Tablespoons. (Personal preferance to make it a little sweeter.) Also, if using frozen cherries I'd advise cutting the cherries for the top while frozen & then keep frozen until time to put them on top. I didn't & they were pretty messy to cut & then not very pretty all squishy on top. I think this would look fabulous when we can get fresh fruit. Tested & enjoyed during Photo Swap of Jan 2008!