- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate (There should be 4 squares of chocolate and it should be melted.)
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, unsalted
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons kirsch liqueur
- 2 cups sour cherries, canned, drained
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cream, heavy, whipped
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate bars
Directions See How It's Made
- CAKE: Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla together until thick and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- Alternately fold chocolate and flour into the egg mixture, ending with flour.
- Pour the batter into 3 8-inch cake pans that have been well greased and floured.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans for 5 minutes; turn out on racks to cool completely.
- SYRUP: Make syrup by mixing together sugar and water and boiling for 5 minutes.
- When syrup has cooled, stir in kirsch.
- Prick the cake layers and pour syrup over all 3 layers.
- FILLING: To make the butter-cream filling, beat together sugar and butter until well blended.
- Add egg yolk; beat until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Fold in Kirsch.
- CAKE ASSEMBLY: To assemble cake, place 1 layer on a cake plate.
- Spread with butter cream filling.
- Using 3/4 cup of the cherries, which have been patted dry, drop cherries evenly over cream.
- Place second layer on cake.
- Place third layer on top.
- Fold 2 T confectioners' sugar into the whipped cream.
- Cover the sides and top of the cake with whipped cream.
- Decorate top of cake with remaining 1/2 cup cherries.
- To make chocolate curls from chocolate bar, shave (at room temperature) with a vegetable peeler.
- Refrigerate curls until ready to use.
- Press chocolate curls on sides of cake and sprinkle a few on the top.
- Chill until serving time.