Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Reader's Digest "Cakes" book; this is one of the most decadent cheesecakes ever. Slice it thin, or it may just overwhelm you.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs or 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (China Cassia if possible)
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup cherry brandy
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (Ghirardelli's is good)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter a 10" springform pan.
- Mix the chocolate crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter in a bowl until completely combined.
- Press the crust mixture on the bottom and approximately 1/3 of the way up the sides of the springform pan.
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar with a heavy duty stand mixer at medium speed until creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, until just blended after each.
- Add the brandy.
- Pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until set; you may use a waterbath, if you wish.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a rack.
- Melt the chocolate (use whichever method you prefer; I prefer the double boiler).
- Set aside to cool.
- After cooling, add the sour cream, gently folding to combine completely.
- Loosen and remove the sides of the springform pan.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the top of the cake.
- Arrange the cherries around the edge of the cake.
- Chill for AT LEAST 6 hours.