Recipe by Mirj
A family favorite, chocolate and cherries always go over well!
Top Review by Lightly Toasted
YUM! This was wonderful. I love cheesecakes, because they can be made with Splenda instead of sugar, and the kirsch in this makes sure that there is absolutely no "sugar substitute taste." The flavors in this are delicate....nothing is overpowering and it was a huge hit with the Christmas Eve crowd.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup kirsch (or other cherry-flavored liqueur)
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chocolate wafer crumbs and butter, mixing well; firmly press into bottom and 1 inch up sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Beat cream cheese with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar, mixing well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in kirsch, and mix until blended.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees F.
- for 10 minutes and then at 200 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Let cake cool to room temperature in the oven.
- Place chocolate in top of a double boiler; bring water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cook until chocolate melts.
- Cool slightly.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Spread chocolate mixture evenly over top.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Garnish with whipped cream and maraschino cherries with stems, if desired.