Recipe by Veronica in North Carolina
This was a recipe from my grandmother on my dads side, my boys adore it!!!
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons kirsch liqueur
- 2 cups sour cherries (drained)
- 1 cup heavy cream (whipped)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 large egg yolk (from lg.egg)
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate bars
Directions See How It's Made
- CAKE: Beat eggs,sugar and vanilla until thick and fluffy.
- Alternatly fold chocolate and flour into egg mixture (end with flour) Pour into 3 8 inch pans that have been floured and greased well.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree over until tooth pick comes out dry.
- Remove from pans after 10 mins and place on rack until completely cool.
- SYRUP: Mix sugar and water,bring to a boil stiring to keep from burning.
- Cool and mix in Kirsch until well blended.
- Prick cakes with tooth picks and pour syrup over all layers.
- FILLING: Beat sugar and butter until blended well and mix in egg yolk.
- Beat well unit fluffy.
- WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING: Fold confectioners sugar into whipped cream.
- ASSEMBLY OF CAKE: Spread 1st layer of cake with 1/2 of the filling mixture, drop 1/3 of cherries onto cake evenly.
- Repeat for 2nd.
- Place 3rd.
- layer on top and cover with the whipped cream mixture,drop remaining cherries on top and shave chocolate curls from chocolate bar.
- (I use a sharp paring knife or potato peeler to make the curls.).