Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my brother's favorite cake.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups Cool Whip
- 1 cup cherry pie filling
- Spray a 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pan with nonstick spray; set pan aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda.
- Add water, cooking oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and cool thoroughly on wire rack.
- Spread whipped desert topping over top and sides of cooled cake.
- Top with pie filling.