Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Pillsbury Chocolate Lover's, a great cake. It's similar to others, but the special ingredient is brandy.
- 1 (18 ounce) package dark chocolate cake mix, Pillsbury Plus
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
Filling And Frosting
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans.
- In large bowl, combine all cake ingredients at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at highest speed. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes. Invert onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- In medium bowl, beat whipping cream at highest speed until slightly thickened. Add powdered sugar gradually; continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in brandy.
- In small bowl, combine cherry filling and almond extract. Place second layer on top of filling. Frost top and sides with whipped cream. Spoon filling on top. Garnish with almonds. Chill.
I very well might have changed the flavor of this cake somewhat when I used a cherry brandy instead of just the plain 'ol stuff, but I had it, used it & think it brought out the cherry flavor even more, & that, in combination with the chocolate, was very, very nice! WE LOVED THIS CAKE! [Tagged, made & reviewed for the lazyme cook-a-thon]