Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
Original from Secrets of Fat Free Baking.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 20 ounces light cherry pie filling
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Combine the first five ingredients in the cake and stir well. In separate bowl, combine the vanilla, syrup, vinegar, and water. Add the chocolate mix to the flour mix and stir well.
- Coat a 10 inch FLAN or Tiara pan with PAM or similar spray. Spread the batter evenly in pan. Bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake to room temperature. Invert onto baking sheet and fill the depression on the top with cherry pie filling.
- Make the meringue. Whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Continue to beat and slowly add the remainder of the ingredients. Beat until you get stiff peaks.
- Pipe or spoon this in a ring around the outer edge of the cake and filling. Place the cake in oven at 400°F for 3 to 5 minutes until meringue is browned lightly.
- Cool to room temperature and serve immediately. IF you must keep it, refrigerate it else the meringue will separate.