Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
"You'll get a double dose of cherries with these brownies - one as a fat replacer that keeps the brownies moist, and another as a sauce that adorns them. To take the brownies as a hostess gift, dust them with powdered sugar and pack them in a gift box lined with parchment paper. Don't forget to take along the cherry sauce in a small jar." From Shape magazine, lowfat and low-cal.
- canola oil cooking spray
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsweetened frozen cherries, thawed
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line and 8" square baking pan with foil, allowing the edges to hang an inch or 2 over two sides of the pan. Coat pan and foil with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the next four ingredients. Set aside.
- Combine cherries, 1/4 cup of sugar, water and the almond extract in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cover and simmer until the cherries soften and juices form, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Cool slightly. Puree cherry mixture in a blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and the butter in a large metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water and stir just until melted. Whisk 3/4 cup of cherry sauce, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, eggs, and egg whites into chocolate mixture to blend well. Whisk in flour mixture. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Transfer pan to a rack anc cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover brownies and store at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate cherry sauce).
- Using the two overhanging foil edges, carefully lift brownies out of pan. Cut into 12 pieces. Before serving, drizzle cherry sauce on top of each brownie, then add a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately.
Awesome brownie recipe - very moist and healthy too with all that added fruit. Will definitely add to my list of faves!
Absolutely wonderful brownies! I was looking for a recipe with some cherries I had on hand for a gift. I doubled this recipe and made 2, one for home and one for the gift and so glad I did! The sauce was great too and I put it some of it in a small jar for the gift. My kids gobbled them up, and I broke my diet...lol Glad to know its from Shape magazine! Thanks for the recipe!