Recipe by MarieRynr
Chocolate and cherry, the flavors of Germany's famous Black Forest Torte, combine in this moist fudgy cake. Baked in a metal bowl and covered with whipped cream, it rsembles a snowball (boule de neige) Begin making this at least one day ahead. (overnight sitting time is not reflected in the prep or cook time)
Top Review by talk2sabby2
Fabulous! I followed this recipe exactly and my dinner guests and family loved it. It was easy to make, beautifully presented and so flavourful. We had corn chowder with whole wheat rolls, followed by tourtiere turnovers with pork gravy and roasted veggies, had a break then devoured this lovely dense snowball. I melted some bittersweet chocolate with a little unsalted butter and a few grains of coffee then dipped 16 fresh cherries to decorate the cake. The flavour had Wow factor! Our 9 guests were from Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario and South Africa. They all rated it 5 stars. Thanks.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup cherry preserves
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried tart cherries (about 8 ounces)
- 1 lb bittersweet chocolate or 1 lb semisweet chocolate, chopped (not unsweetened)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
KIRSCH WHIPPED CREAM
- 2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons kirsch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 16 candied violets, petals
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR CAKE: Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 350*F.
- LIne a 10 cup metal bowl with foil, extending 3 inches over sides.
- Spray foil with nonstick spray.
- Stir preserves with kirsch in medium skillet over medium heat until preserves melt.
- Add dried cherries; bring to boil, cover, and remove from heat.
- Let cool.
- Melt chocolate with butter in heavy large saucepan over medium low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in sugar and vanilla, then whisk in eggs one at a time.
- Mix in flour, then cherry mixture.
- Transfer batter to prepared bowl.
- Bake cake in bowl 30 minutes.
- Fold foil overhang over edges of cake to prevent overbrowning.
- Continue to bake cake until top is cracked and dry and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist batter attached, about 55 minutes longer.
- Cool cake completely in bowl on rack (cake may fall in center, dont' worry) Press edge of cake firmly to level with center of cake.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- For Whipped cream: Using electric mixer, beat cream, powdered sugar, kirsch and almond extract in large bowl until cream holds peaks.
- Invert cake onto platter.
- Peel off foil.
- Spoon cream into large pastry bag fitted with medium star tip.
- Pipe whipped cream stars all over cake, covering completely.
- Pip additional stars over top flat center of cake to form dome.
- (can be made 1 day ahead; cover with cake dome and chill.) Decorate with candied violets.
- *Candiedviolets are available at specialty foods stores and some cookware shops.
- Candied violet petals can also be ordered from chefshop.