Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe that I haven't tried, but it caught my eye and my imagination, so I don't want to lose sight of it. It comes from Vegetarian Times and contains black-eyed peas! If you do the optional decorations, it is a beautiful and show-stopping cake.
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups black-eyed peas, cooked, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs or 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup raisins (regular or golden)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 2 5⁄8 ounces fat free cream cheese (1/3 of an 8 oz package)
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemons, zest of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 Hershey chocolate kisses or 12 chocolate stars
- 32 dried apricots
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans, or grease and line with circles of parchment paper.
- CAKE: Cook apricots in 2 cups water, about 12 minutes, until very soft.
- Measure out 1 cup apricots and liquid; set aside.
- Put remaining apricots and liquid in blender and puree.
- Add peas to blender and puree again.
- Put oil, brown sugar and eggs in mixing bowl; beat on high 3 minutes or until creamy.
- Whisk flour, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and baking powder in separate bowl.
- Pour egg mixture over puree and fold together.
- Gently fold in flour mixture.
- Fold in raisins and pecans, if using.
- Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- FROSTING: Beat cream cheese in mixer until creamy.
- Beat in remaining ingredients. Frosting will be soft but it will firm upon standing.
- Place one cake layer on plate and spread reserved apricots over it.
- Top with second layer.
- Spread frosting over top and sides of cake.
- TO DECORATE: Cut apricots into slices.
- Place chocolate kiss or star on cake, and arrange 8 apricot "petals" around it, skin side up.
- Repeat until cake is covered.
I've made this for guests, and everyone requested the recipe. Very moist. Because everything is pureed, no one had any idea of the ingredients. Will defiantly make again.