Recipe by Tarheel Georgia Peach
This is based on a favorite recipe from a friend, but modified to be lower in fat: (1) uses Italian turkey sausage instead of regular Italian sausage; (2) halved the amount of sausage used in the original recipe; (3) cooked sausage in water instead of frying in oil as per the original recipe; (4) replaced cheddar with 2% milk sharp cheddar cheese. Even with these modifications, this dish packs plenty of flavor -- I don't miss a thing from the original recipe.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian turkey sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, for topping
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sausage in a little water in a large skillet over low-to-medium heat. Break up sausage with a spoon; continue cooking and stirring until sausage is no longer pink. Drain any remaining water (if needed).
- Add onion to sausage in skillet. Continue cooking over low-to-medium heat until onion is tender; about 5 minutes.
- Open cans of diced tomatoes and black-eyed peas. Drain canned tomatoes and one can of black-eyed peas, but do not drain the second can of peas.
- Add tomatoes (drained) and black-eyed peas (one drained, one with liquid) to the sausage and onion mixture in skillet. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes over low heat.
- Salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over skillet mixture.
- Serve with hot pepper sauce on the side, so each person may spice up his/her individual serving.