- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas, washed and soaked overnight
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 inch ginger, grated
- 2 serrano peppers, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon molasses
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the beans in the water. Boil the water, then reduce to simmer. Allow beans to simmer for an hour until tender. Once done, drain the water.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, garlic, chillis, and ginger in the olive oil until the onions are soft.
- Add the beans, salt and molasses. Cook this mixture for about 15 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed.