Recipe by CJane
Give it a shot! One of our very favorite household staples for years. Great flavors come together to become more than the sum of it's parts! I'd never tried black eyed peas before eating this. Their earthy flavor is perfect when combined with these other ingredients. An easy to throw together, casual weeknight meal that needs no other accompaniment.
Top Review by Aunt Cookie
This may seem like a slightly odd combination of flavors (it seemed odd to me before I tried it), but it was really good!! The combination of coconut rice and avocado salsa was really tasty, and all of the textures together were so delicious. I used the optional lime, and I don't think I'd ever leave it out...it added something extra to the flavor. I am pretty sure I never would have thought of this combo on my own, so thank you so much for posting it! I'll be making it again soon.
- 2 (30 ounce) cans black-eyed peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk (I use lite)
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice (Jasmine is the best for this)
- 1 -1 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe avocados, cut into large dice
- 2 large tomatoes or 4 small tomatoes, cut into large dice
- 1⁄2 small red onions or 1⁄2 small white onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a pan, add rice and toast over medium heat, stirring, until the rice begins to turn a light golden brown.
- Add coconut milk, water and salt. You want twice the amount of liquid to rice. (2:1 ratio)
- Cover and cook until rice is done, about 20 minutes.
- Heat black eyed peas in a separate saucepan.
- Combine vegetables and cilantro to create a coarse salsa.
- Add lime juice, if using, and season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop some rice onto your plate, top with the black eyed peas, grated cheese and salsa.
- Dig in.