Give it a shot! One of our very favorite household staples for years. Great flavors come together to become more than the sum of it's parts! I'd never tried black eyed peas before eating this. Their earthy flavor is perfect when combined with these other ingredients. An easy to throw together, casual weeknight meal that needs no other accompaniment.
- 2 (30 ounce) cans black-eyed peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk (I use lite)
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice (Jasmine is the best for this)
- 1 -1 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe avocados, cut into large dice
- 2 large tomatoes or 4 small tomatoes, cut into large dice
- 1⁄2 small red onions or 1⁄2 small white onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat oil in a pan, add rice and toast over medium heat, stirring, until the rice begins to turn a light golden brown.
- Add coconut milk, water and salt. You want twice the amount of liquid to rice. (2:1 ratio)
- Cover and cook until rice is done, about 20 minutes.
- Heat black eyed peas in a separate saucepan.
- Combine vegetables and cilantro to create a coarse salsa.
- Add lime juice, if using, and season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop some rice onto your plate, top with the black eyed peas, grated cheese and salsa.
- Dig in.