1/1 Photo of Black Eyed Peas with Coconut Rice and Avocado Salsa
Give it a shot! One of our very favorite household staples for years. Great flavors come together to become more than the sum of it's parts! I'd never tried black eyed peas before eating this. Their earthy flavor is perfect when combined with these other ingredients. An easy to throw together, casual weeknight meal that needs no other accompaniment.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (30 ounce) cans black-eyed peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk (I use lite)
- 1 1/2 cups rice (Jasmine is the best for this)
- 1 -1 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe avocados, cut into large dice
- 2 large tomatoes or 4 small tomatoes, cut into large dice
- 1/2 small red onions or 1/2 small white onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1Heat oil in a pan, add rice and toast over medium heat, stirring, until the rice begins to turn a light golden brown.
- 2Add coconut milk, water and salt. You want twice the amount of liquid to rice. (2:1 ratio)
- 3Cover and cook until rice is done, about 20 minutes.
- 4Heat black eyed peas in a separate saucepan.
- 5Combine vegetables and cilantro to create a coarse salsa.
- 6Add lime juice, if using, and season with salt and pepper.
- 7Scoop some rice onto your plate, top with the black eyed peas, grated cheese and salsa.
- 8Dig in.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Eyed Peas with Coconut Rice and Avocado Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (926 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1535.8
- Calories from Fat 652
- Total Fat 72.5 g
- Saturated Fat 42.5 g
- Cholesterol 59.3 mg
- Sodium 2859.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 176.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 30.7 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 54.1 g