Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
The Pastry Queen Christmas
- 5 cups frozen shelled black-eyed peas
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (apple-smoked, if possible)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 -6 cups chicken stock or 5 -6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion top
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Put frozen peas in a colander and run warm water over them for a few minutes (this will separate them; it is not necessary to fully defrost them).
- In a big pot, fry the bacon over med-high heat for 3-4 minutes, until cooked but not crisp.
- Add in the onion, celery, bell peppers, jalapeno, and garlic; decrease heat to medium and saute until the vegetables are soft but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add in stock, salt, Tabasco, peas, and baking soda; increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered until the beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Stir in the green onion tops and vinegar.
- Serve immediately, or let cool and refrigerate for up to 3 days; reheat to serve.