Black-Eyed Peas With Bacon, Onions, and Garlic
- Put frozen peas in a colander and run warm water over them for a few minutes (this will separate them; it is not necessary to fully defrost them).
- In a big pot, fry the bacon over med-high heat for 3-4 minutes, until cooked but not crisp.
- Add in the onion, celery, bell peppers, jalapeno, and garlic; decrease heat to medium and saute until the vegetables are soft but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add in stock, salt, Tabasco, peas, and baking soda; increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered until the beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Stir in the green onion tops and vinegar.
- Serve immediately, or let cool and refrigerate for up to 3 days; reheat to serve.