Recipe by Fridaysgirl 11
This is a simple yet quick meal.
Top Review by Chef shapeweaver �
Before getting on with this review I would like to say that I'm pleased to be the first one to rate this.:) This recipe was made on 8/9/2011 for the " Stop & Cook " Event in the Food Photo Forum,and as part of mine and my SO's dinner.Instead of using stewed tomatoes, a can of Fire-Roasted diced was used. After adding the tomatoes,garlic powder,S & P, I tasted it and decided that it didn't need the salsa or the hot sauce.Also, instead of adding the rice to the black-eyed pea mixture, I just served it over the rice and sprinkled each serving with bacon.We both really liked the taste.This recipe certainly has a lot of possibilities, like mixing in some smoked sausage and serving it over cornbread. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
- 3 slice bacon
- 1 small fresh onion (chopped)
- 453.59 g can black-eyed peas, drained
- 411.06 g can stewed tomatoes (undrained and chopped)
- 354.88 ml cooked rice
- 1.23 ml hot sauce (optional)
- 0.59 ml garlic powder
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml salsa (any mild or medium is what I use but hot will due if you like your food hotter)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon & set aside.
- Saute onion in drippings until tender. Drain the onion & discard the drippings. Return the onion to skillet. Add drained peas & last 7 ingredients.
- Cover & cook over low heat 8 to 10 minutes. Put into serving dish & sprinkle crumbled bacon over top.