Recipe by hannahactually
from "5 spices, 50 dishes" by ruta kahate. instead of canned black-eyed peas, 1 c dried black-eyed peas can be used (but they must be rinsed and soaked in water for 6-8 hours)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, finely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes, minced
- 1 cup hot water (2 c if using dried peas)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- in large saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat and saute the onion until it turns dark brown, about 8 minute add coriander, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cayenne, and cumin and stir for 2 minute add tomato and stir over low heat until it disintegrates.
- add peas and mix well. pour in the water, add salt and sugar, and bring to a boil. turn heat down to low, cover, and simmer until peas are cooked through, about 10 minute (20 minutes if using dried peas). stir in coconut milk and simmer uncovered for another 8-10 min., again allowing the flavors to come together.
- add cilantro and lemon juice, simmer for 1 minute more, and remove from heat. serve hot.