Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Patti Labelle Celebrity Cooking Showdown
Black eyed Pea Croquettes
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (Panko)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas (rinsed, drained)
- 1 jarred roasted red pepper (chopped)
- 1 green onion (white and green part, chopped)
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh cornbread (crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped of fresh mint
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional
- kosher salt, for seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red chili sauce, such as Sriracha
- canola oil, for deep frying
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch baby dandelion greens, well washed and trimmed
- 1⁄2 shallot (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons creole mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb ham (tasso, chopped)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- To prepare the black eyed pea croquettes: Spread the breadcrumbs on a large plate.
- Put half of the black eyed peas in a large bowl and coarsely mash with a fork. Stir in the remaining peas.
- Add the red pepper, onion, cornbread, mint, egg, and salt.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop a golf ball size portion of the mixture into the palm of your hand (it will be soft and moist). Using your fingers, form into roughly a one inch cake. Put the cakes on a side plate and continue to form, until the mixture is used up. Dredge the black eyed pea cakes in the bread crumbs, turning to coat both sides completely.
- Transfer to a side plate and chill until ready to fry.
- To make a quick aioli:.
- Combine the mayonnaise and red chile sauce in a small bowl, stirring to evenly blend. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the spicy aioli into a plastic squeeze bottle for serving.
- Heat three inches of canola oil in a heavy bottomed pot or deep fryer to 350 degrees, have frying thermometer attached to the side of the pot to check the temperature.
- Fry the black eyed pea croquettes until evenly golden brown on all sides, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer to a platter lined with paper towels to drain. While they are still hot, season with salt. Hot warm in low oven.
- To prepare the salad:.
- Put the dandelion greens in a salad bowl and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the shallot, mustard, and vinegar, stirring to blend.
- Drizzle in 3 tablespoons of the oil and whisk to emulsify the vinaigrette. Set aside.
- Place a sauté pan over medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. When the oil is hot, add the tasso and cook until the ham is brown and the fat is rendered.
- Remove the tasso with a slotted spoon and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Top the dandelion greens with fried tasso. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad, season well with salt and pepper, and toss gently with your hands.
- To serve:.
- Put a mound of the dandelion salad in the center of a serving plate.
- Lean the black eyed pea cakes around the salad and top with a small dollop of the spicy aioli.