Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Bok choy and black-eyed peas pair up in this Szechwan-style sauté created by Walter Bronowitz, a culinary instructor at Edmonds Community College in Edmonds, Wash.
- 1 tablespoon red bird's eye chili, minced, to taste (or jalapeno)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons black bean paste (or spicy brown sauce)
- 2 lbs bok choy, sliced
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas
- 2 -3 tablespoons soy sauce (or Bragg's Aminos)
- black pepper
- 4 cups cooked brown rice or 4 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 6 slices orange zest (peel)
- orange juice (optional)
- In a large skillet, sauté peppers, ginger root and garlic in peanut.
- and sesame oil until peppers are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in black bean paste and bok choy and cook, covered, over medium heat until bok choy wilts, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain black-eyed peas and add to skillet with the soy sauce. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with black pepper.
- Serve over rice. Squeeze orange juice over top if desired.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, green onions and orange zest, if desired.
This is a great healthy meal especially good for a quick vegetarian option after the gym. The only thing I left out was the black bean paste as having looked through a few grocery stores could not find. I may need to try a specialty asian store for that, but it was good anyways
I give this 5 stars on condition you add 2-3 tablespoons of orange juice from the orange you zested for the garnish! It needs something sweet, like the OJ, to give it balance; I nearly sprinkled brown sugar over it, but am thinking low calorie these days and the OJ did the trick! This has wonderfully healthful ingredients. I used jalapeno because I've never heard of red bird's eye chili and should have asked Sharon what section of the grocer carries it. Next time I will try it with brown rice! Thanks, Sharon123! Made for Aussie NZ Recipe Swap #22.