Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe was modified from a cold black-eyed pea salad. I don't like cold black-eyed peas but I love the taste of this served warm. It is a little hot because of the jalapeno but those can easily be left out. On the other hand, if you want more heat, add more peppers.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 medium summer squash, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green onion, sliced (2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- Heat oil in large skillet. cook squash, peppers, and garlic, uncovered, for 8 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add peas, green onion, cilantro, cumin and salt. Heat 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir tomatoes into hot mixture. Serve immediately.