Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is from Cooking Light magazine. I love it because it is fast, tasty, and relatively economical. If you don't want to use spicy andouille, substitute your favorite sausage instead.
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) baglong-grain boil-in-the-bag rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup frozen chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 6 ounces andouille chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- Place rice in an 8" square microwave-safe dish; cover with water. Microwave on HIGH 6 minutes; drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and cajun seasoning to pan, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in sausage and cook for 1 minute. Add the rice, chicken broth, black-eyed peas, and tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 4 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in hot pepper sauce.
- Ladle into serving bowls; top with green onions.
I made 1/2 cup of Basmati rice with 1-1/2 cup of chicken broth, then followed the recipe using pork andouille sausage, Tony's seasoning and Tobasco Chipotle hot sauce. Wow!
We had this for New Year's Day and it was great. Couldn't even tell it was a "Light" recipe......just very tasty. We all enjoyed. Thanks
My sister made this recipe for the first time during my last visit... and it's truly delicious! All of us had 2nds... and willingly forwent dessert to do so. I brought a copy of the recipe home with me but am pleased to find it here on Zaar... I know I won't lose it now. The only thing my sister changed was to use the boil-in-bag brown rice. Definitely going to be making it here soon!