Recipe by Bluemonkey
This recipe came together after reading several other Black-eyed Pea resipes on RecipeZaar. I love black-eyed peas and they are cheap and a great way to extend the more expensive premium sausage we enjoy. I served this with white rice but cornbread or a cornmeal dumpling would be a great accompaniment . The sausage used if very much like kielbasa ADDED AUG 16 2008 I browned the sausage without any fat, renedering the little fat in the sausage out and browned the onions with it, add a little vegetable oil of your choice is your sausage is very lean and you don't get enough fat out of it to brown the onions etc.
Top Review by aronsinvest
This turned out really good. I had left over hot sausages from the football game. I had no marjoram used herbs de Provence instead. Make a lot. Will freeze some for another meal. Thanks for posting.
- 1 lb hot kranjska sausage or 1 lb hot kielbasa, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 large cooking onions, chopped about 2 cups
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced about 2 cups
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced or diced celery
- 1 (28 ounce) canof san marzano type plum tomatoes
- 1 (1 liter) cartonof organic chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups cooked black-eyed peas or 4 cups canned black-eyed peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a large soup pot heat up the pan on a medium heat.
- Add the sliced sausage and start browning, after about 5 minutes add the onions and stir and cook until they start to get lightly golden lifting any meat bit stuck to the bottom .
- Add sliced carrots, celery , garlic and saute a further 5-10 min until they start to soften.
- Add the broth and bring to a hard simmer and cook until carrots and celery are al dente , just barely tender. DO NOT BOIL HARD.
- Add tomatoes one at a time reserving any liquid and breaking them up as you add them. I only used 2/3 of my can and most of the juice you'll have to judge how much tomato you prefer. Cook 10-15 min gently then add the garlic powder, thyme, marjoram and the smoked paprika and the beans.
- Let the pot come to a hard simmer for cook another 20-30 minutes.