Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this unusual bread recipe at cooks.com.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup bran flakes
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup black-eyed peas
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside.
- In a bowl combine ginger, sugar, flour, whole wheat flour, bran, wheat germ, white pepper, bacon bits, dried onion flakes, and oil. Add the yeast mixture and knead until smooth and satiny, about 10 minutes. Knead in black eyed peas (drained). Allow to rise, covered, in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Punch down; place in a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan, and allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350*F for 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.