Recipe by alwaystawnya
My friends and I love to share different recipes. My friend made these after watching "The Neely's on Foodnetwork" make theirs. Although we really dont cook with a lot of pork we decided to alter their recipe to fit our tastes. So this is a great recipe when ur trying to use up that extra turkey meat. This recipe does have alot of turkey in it so u can either omit a leg or add more beans.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I did change a few tings when I cut this recipe in half (there were 3 of us) & made it ~ I did use the turkey bacon, then substituted shredded chicken for the turkey meat! These peas were a nice change of pace from our usual beans, & we did enjoy 'em, at least if half the recipe, devoured by 3 men is any indication! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event] .
- 1⁄2 red pepper
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 1⁄2 lbs black-eyed peas (overnight soaked,rinsed, and drained)
- 2 turkey legs (cooked, remove bones)
- 2 turkey wings, 9remove bones (cooked)
- 4 slices turkey bacon, cut in 1/2 slices
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 6 cups stock (chicken, turkey, or vegetable)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot heat butter until it melts. Add bacon and brown. Add onion until translucent. Add legs and wings. Make sure the meat gets shredded. Add all seasonings. Cook for about 2 minutes until seasoning is coated to the meat. Add the stock and simmer for about 30 minutes until it comes to a boil. Add the peas, red and green peppers. Simmer on low, covered for about an hour and a half. I serve over rice.