Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
We like to make this different and healthy salad with frozen black-eyed peas from our garden. The original recipe is from Southern Living-January 1986.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried black-eyed peas (or 2 10-oz bags frozen)
- 8 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons freeze- dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Sort and wash peas; place in a large Dutch oven. Add water, onion, garlic, bay leaves, salt, cumin, and marjoram; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40--45 minutes or until peas are tender. Drain and let cool. Remove bay leaves.
- Add remaining ingredients to peas; toss well. Serve at room temperature.