Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is one of our favorite cool weather dishes - it's so good with cornbread! The recipe came from Bush's. It's one I never really tinker with, and that's unusual for me. The ingredients are just right in the original.
- Brown sausage in large skillet, crumbling with fork as it browns. Drain any accumulated fat.
- Add green pepper & onion to skillet with sausage and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes & seasonings, stir well.
- Pour in blackeyed peas with the liquid in the can. Cover & simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with grated cheese on top.
My husband and I had this last night. Quick, easy and good.
I had made this years ago and had a hankering for it, but couldn't remember the recipe exactly, so I was glad you had posted. I had to use Italian spiced diced tomatoes as that is what I had on hand, but I still added the spices as listed. I also used spicy breakfast sausage which gave it a great kick, but would be good with mild sausage as well. Served over rice was a great meal on a cold night! Thanks for sharing LitaLou!