1/1 Photo of Black-Eyed Pea Stew
Another Hoppin John Recipe. I don't know who John is, but I like his dish! From Cooking Light.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 (28 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) bag prewashed mustard greens
- 1Sort and wash peas; set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 3Add onion to pan; cook 3 minutes or until tender. Add sausage; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 4Stir in broth; bring to a simmer, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in peas, salt, peppers, and bay leaves.
- 5Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until peas begin to soften. Uncover and cook 15 minutes or until liquid begins to thicken.
- 6Stir in vinegar, tomatoes, and mustard greens; simmer 10 minutes or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black-Eyed Pea Stew
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.7
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 19.6 mg
- Sodium 652.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 15.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: