Another Hoppin John Recipe. I don't know who John is, but I like his dish! From Cooking Light.
Make and share this Black-Eyed Pea Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 (28 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) bagprewashed mustard greens
- Sort and wash peas; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion to pan; cook 3 minutes or until tender. Add sausage; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in broth; bring to a simmer, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in peas, salt, peppers, and bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until peas begin to soften. Uncover and cook 15 minutes or until liquid begins to thicken.
- Stir in vinegar, tomatoes, and mustard greens; simmer 10 minutes or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.