Recipe by JenSmith
I make this all the time, especially for New Year's dinner. It's YUMMY! (Not to mention very easy.)
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 (10 ounce) packagesfrozen black-eyed peas (You can also use 2 14-oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon in a Dutch oven until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving drippings in the pan. Crumble bacon and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Saute the celery, onion, and green pepper in bacon drippings for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until peas are tender. Remove bay leaf and stir in bacon before serving.