Recipe by dicentra
Quick From Scratch Soups & Salads - Food & Wine. Use your favorite greens. WINE: powerful, spicy syrah (California)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 6 scallions, white bulbs and green tops chopped and reserved separately
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb swiss chard (about 4 cups) or 1⁄2 lb other greens, tough stems removed, leaves washed well and shredded (about 4 cups)
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen black-eyed peas (about 4 cups)
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or 3 cups homemade stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs piece ham, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the scallion bulbs and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add the Swiss chard, black-eyed peas, water, broth, Tabasco, and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the black-eyed peas are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir the ham into the soup and cook until the ham is warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the pepper, vinegar, and scallion tops.