- 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, 2 cans, do not drain
- 1 1⁄2 cups organic potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chilies, do not drain
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a soup pot, sauté garlic and onion for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the parsley. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the flame to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Mash the potatoes slightly with a potato masher to thicken the soup. Serve and garnish with parsley.